Sunday, April 22, 2012

Honduras - Day 6

Today is our last day in Honduras. We went to the Valley of Angels to do some street shopping. It was fun. We ate at an outdoor restaurant and Shelley, our host, ordered fish. The plate came and the whole fish, tail and head and eyes laid across her plate. I had a shrimp and rice that was to die for. Our drivers never sit with us and most of the time sit outside what ever building we are all in. Melvin and Jose. They are wonderful and so faithful. They treat us like royalty.
It was interesting to go to some of the different places around the city and then into the country side. The mountains are amazingly beautiful. There are some signs of a middle class trying to emerge but for the most part, there is the rich and then the poor. You see them everywhere. You will drive by some incredible mansion with high walls, barbed wire and guards and just down the road will be some shacks with dirt floors, tin roof and wash bins in front. Megote is the poorest of the poor. That is where we spend our days and where the mission is. This morning was our last morning to be at the mission and play with the children. I could not wait to see Kimberlyn (correct spelling of her name) and tell her I had worked it out with Senora Shelley to sponsor her. When I got to the mission, she was waiting for me at the gate. I got out of the van and she hugged me. She had a paper in her hand. It was lined school paper folded into a little make-shift envelope and glued at each end. On the front of the little envelope were the words, "Te quiero mucho" ( I love you very much) I already began to cry and hugged her. I opened the envelope to read another little note in Spanish full of love and a picture she drew for me. It was such a joy when Senora Shelley told her I wanted to sponsor her. Kimberlyn is very quiet. I don't hear her voice very often. It was nice to hear her voice when she was answering Senora Shelley the questions she was asking. Senora told her that back in the states I had to work very hard for my money and if I wanted to share it with her so that she could go to a good school and have food and clothes, was she willing to do her part to work hard in school? Kimberlyn said, " I will work very hard". We smiled at each other and gave lots of hugs. As you can imagine, there were many tears from the whole team as we got into the vans to leave. Kimberlyn kept hugging me and her eye filled with tears. I told her, "No mas manana." (No more tomorrow) She knew I was not coming back the next day, that is why she wrote the note. I told her I would be back though. And I will. I plan to bring whoever wants to come and engage in a life change by serving the Lord and being the hands and feet and heart and arms and eyes.....of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment